100 Printmaking Tools Update 2018

100 Printmaking Tools Update 2018

2018 is less than 24 hours from being over and I managed to make a few more printmaking tools, this time thermofax screens of two of my favorite subjects–leaves and backgrounds.

Leaves

Leaves are probably my favorite designs, and was actually one of my first original designs.  For these leves I gather fresh leaves where ever I go and then print them by inking the back side and printing on plain white paper.  this creates a wonderful print with lots of fine detail.

Just as before I printed these on both paper and mylar.  This collection of screens brings me up to 40. Still a ways to go before reaching 100, but slow and steady wins the race.

But since I like a more graphic look I go back and enhance the markings to get the look I want.  These are a Maple leaf and what I believe is a Yellow Elder.  The Maple leaf I tried something different, and did a stipple look.  The Yellow Elder leaf I did more of a block look.  Not sure how I feel about the stippling.

Background Texture

Next I created some background textures. In my opinion you can never have too many background screens.  I love textures, but have a hard time coming up with some that I like.  For these I used some white on white textured wallpaper like this one.

Using a hard brayer, a rolled on black paint, which colored the raised areas without sinking down into the recesses to much.  Turned out to be a great way to highlight the textures.  I then photocopied them and made thermofaxes.

So two of my favorite design elements, leaves and backgrounds.  What are your favorite design elements?  Let me know if the comments below.

100 Printmaking Tools Day 15

A few weeks ago I posted about my 100 day project where I panned to work on creating 1 printmaking tool a day for the next 100 days.  Well, I’ve decided to modify this project just a bit.  When I started making my first tools, it just made sense to work on several at once.  So I drew out several stamps, cut them all at once and completed them over several days.  I realized I would most likely work this way instead of working on one at a time.

So I’m modifying my project to be 100 printmaking tools in 100 days or less.  And here is my first batch; a total of 14 stamps.

 

And here they are printed on both paper and mylar. The mylar is so that I can audition them on fabric.

I’ve already started of the next batch of stamps.  So the project continues.

100 Day Project Update #1

I’ve been putting in a little time each day on my 100 day project, creating my mark making tools.  So far I’ve completed 3 stamps.  They are all backed with a transparent backing and the excess cut away.

For the backing I like to use these flexible cutting mats from the Dollar Tree.  They are transparent, so I can see where I am placing the stamp.  They are also strong but flexible at the same time and easy to cut with scissors.

And at two in a pack for $1 you can’t beat the price.